The ultimate guide to playing the saxophone – for anyone from beginners to professionals.
Purchase Now at Sher Music!
- Endorsed by Jazz greats Jerry Bergonzi, Bob Mintzer, Bob Sheppard, George Garzone, Jamey Aebersold, David Berkman, Walt Weiskopf, Steve Wilson, etc.
- Rooted in practical skills and going far beyond theory, The Jazz Saxophone Book will improve your ability to construct beautiful, flowing solo lines.
- Videos – The book includes access to over 30 videos of the author demonstrating ideas in the book.
- Transcriptions – Includes hundreds of examples of solo phrases by the masters of jazz saxophone.
For the beginning improviser, the book covers:
- Creative ways to work on sound, time and building a jazz vocabulary
- Connecting your soloing with your internal singing voice
- Foundational jazz harmony – what you need to know!
For intermediate players, the book offers:
- In-depth treatment of jazz harmony, with copious examples from the masters of the tradition
- Ideas for becoming a musical storyteller
- Skills needed to show up at a jam session and confidently perform a tune
For more advanced players, the book discusses:
- Using advanced harmony to build and release tension
- Taking jazz vocabulary, harmony and form into the realm of freedom
- How to practice efficiently to become a well-rounded, continually improving soloist